The Regional Environmental Centre for the Caucasus (REC Caucasus) announces an Internship
within GEF funded project “Georgia`s Integrated Transparency Framework for Implementation for the Paris Agreement”
REC Caucasus is executing the project “Georgia`s integrated transparency framework for implementation for the Paris agreement”, which aims to meet the enhanced transparency framework (ETF) requirements under the Paris agreement.
REC Caucasus is announcing an internship position:
Project title: Georgia’s Integrated Transparency Framework for Implementation of the Paris Agreement
Post title: Unpaid internship, Entry-Level
Duration: 3 months
Starting Date: 09 March, 2021
Duty station: Tbilisi, Georgia or Remote
The Paris Agreement, adopted at the 21st Conference of Parties (CoP) in December 2015, sets out a global action plan that puts the world on track to avoid dangerous climate change by limiting global warming to well below 2°C. The Agreement refers to ‘Nationally Determined Contributions’ (NDCs) that each individual country should make to achieve the worldwide goal set of reducing anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases. As part of this Agreement, all countries agreed to an enhanced transparency framework (ETF) for action and support (Article 13), with built-in flexibility which considers Parties’ different capacities and builds upon collective experience.
For Georgia there is a need to set up new transparency governance structures, develop and implement Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) procedures, and update, implement, and integrate new data and information flows with pre-defined periodicity. Two parallel ongoing climate activities at the central and local levels in the country need to be aligned under the Domestic Enhanced Transparency Framework. The clear, comparable, accountable and flexible MRV system should integrate mitigation strategies, measures and their effect into the national level. A key condition for successful implementation of the Paris Agreement’s transparency requirements is the provision requiring adequate and sustainable financial support and capacity building to enable developing countries to significantly strengthen their efforts to build robust domestic and regulatory processes. For the above purposes, the GEF Funded Project “Georgia’s Integrated Transparency Framework for Implementation of the Paris Agreement” is planned to be implemented in Georgia.
PROJECT ACTIVITIES TO BE UNDERTAKEN:
The overall objective of the project is to meet the enhanced transparency framework (ETF) requirements under the Paris Agreement.
1. Strengthening vertical integration in Georgia for transparency-related activities;
2. Georgia’s National greenhouse gas (GHG) Inventory system and HFC data management system are aligned to the enhanced transparency framework (ETF);
3. Climate Change Mitigation in Georgia’s transparency system.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• support day to day implementation of the ITF project by providing technical and administrative assistance.
• support the curation of materials and exchange of information within and outside the project;
• support the project in liaison with key stakeholders on the local and national level and prepare information materials for them;
• provide technical assistance regarding preparation and organization of meetings/workshops, including preparation of minutes, in close collaboration with project team and partners;
• follow up on meetings/expert missions and workshops e.g. by preparing reports, information materials and further research and analysis;
• provide support regarding administrative tasks e.g. billing, tendering etc. in close coordination with the Project Manager and project Administrative Technician;
• perform other relevant tasks as assigned by Project Manager, and project Administrative Technician.
The intern suitable for this position should have the following qualifications:
• Education – currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of a Bachelor’s or Master’s program;
• Basic knowledge on climate change issues is strongly desired;
• Self-motivated and availability to work under the pressure;
• Excellent communication and networking skills;
• Excellent verbal and writing communication skills in Georgian and English
• Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (software, email, internet) and computer applications.
WORKING AND REPORTING LANGUAGE(S):
• English and Georgian.
OTHER IMPORTANT DETAILS:
Interested applicants should submit a motivation letter and CV (English) to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to Project Administrative Technician: email@example.com
Deadline for application is March 1, 2021, 17:00 (GMT+4). Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.